When educators embrace student-centered learning, classrooms transform, authentic learning comes alive, and outcomes improve. A culmination of Lee Watanabe-Crockett’s ten-plus years of work with schools around the world, Future-Focused Learning details ten core shifts of practice—along with simple microshifts—you can use with your students immediately, regardless of your core curriculum or instructional pedagogy. These proven shifts offer a clear pathway for taking the great work you are already doing and making it exceptional.
Use this book to improve student-centered learning in the classroom and support authentic learning outcomes for the 21st century:
- Study over 50 specific examples of classroom microshifts that make the larger shifts in practice simple to achieve as a collective group.
- Connect the six essential fluencies—solution fluency, information fluency, creative fluency, media fluency, collaboration fluency, and global digital citizenship—to the shifts of practice that develop students’ key 21st century skills and higher-order thinking.
- Explore topics in student-centered learning competencies such as project-based learning, essential questions, STEM education, and digital skills.
- Learn why fostering connections to learning—from improved emotional connections to personalized learning—improve student-centered learning outcomes and higher-order thinking.
- Improve formative assessment practices to be more mindful, ask the essential questions, and further student engagement by involving them in the assessment process.
- Access an exclusive online bonus chapter that examines the value of solution fluency across a range of applications.
“At last, a book that bridges the gap between the realization that education must change and the real work of transforming it. Future-Focused Learning provides a clear guide for building teacher capacity. By implementing Lee Watanabe-Crockett's highly effective coaching processes, I have seen professional transformation take place in the form of renewed teacher practice and increased student engagement. If you strive to transform teaching and learning based on depth of inquiry, collaboration, and creativity, you must engage with this book.”
Kathleen Baker Brown, assistant principal, Parap Primary School, Australia
“Teachers at any stage in their career can benefit from Future-Focused Learning. I can open to any chapter and find a valuable instructional shift and the reasoning behind it. Each strategy works with any content, grade level, or curriculum and results in increased agency for my students and more fun teaching for me!”
Lisa Bejarano, National Board-Certified Teacher, 2015 Colorado Presidential Awardee for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
“Future-Focused Learning has a gentle approach to challenging thinking while providing easy-to-implement suggestions that have great potential to impact student learning and increase success. The book provides guidance to understand and accept new practices, then includes classroom activities that will make them effective.”
Eileen Depka, author, Raising the Rigor
“While others still debate what a 21st century curriculum is, Lee Watanabe-Crockett brings educators on a journey from why to how, from fluencies to shifts of practice. It's a journey through which educators can use a highly effective method of engaging learners in complex thinking to achieve outcomes thought unimaginable only a few years ago.”
Simon McGlade, principal, Newport Gardens Primary School, Australia
"Any teacher, from beginner to veteran, will find practical and proven ideas for invigorating their teaching and enlivening student learning."